Sunday, July 27, 2008

Desk


This is my desk. I work here all day, all week. I study physics, write geobibles questions, write geobibles tutorials, design a game to motivate geobibles volunteers (questagories) study for my MCAT this August, work on my crazy book idea, dabble with a Fulbright application to Kyrgyzstan, and follow every detail of the presidential elections. I like my desk though. It's cozy, and has a lamp. My book shelf is handy. On the bright and warm surface of it all, you might think all is well at my desk, and indeed my summer has gone quite well.
But I'm burning out. I need to focus, work harder, stop feeling burned out, get myself in gear, work up a little motivation from somewhere. My desk won't help me. What WILL help me? The Seven Habits? Exercise? Positive attitude?
No, because I will only keep working on all of these, trying harder, gritting my teeth more. I need something deeper, bigger. I need my God. He's listening, I'm quite sure, but he's also waiting. He's waiting for me to listen too. That's what I need to do: listen
Listen, Barry
Listen because God is--oh yes that's a good saying it's even the banner on my cell phone and I--listen until you hear as much as you know. Listen until you hear, until you hear the I AM say "I AM"

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Thank you for the reminder to stop. And listen. I needed that.

Barry Howe said...

So did I