Our house was built on the old site of a girl-scout camp. All that remains of the lodge is a grand old chimney, sitting picturesquely in the middle of our yard. However, two of the old cabins remain. Dad rebuilt one of the cabins for Paul and Petra to stay in over the summer. Now, we're working on the other cabin.
First, we worked on the foundation, a very good place to start. Next we built the platform for hideaway bed alcove. Completely replacing the roof is our current project. Taking the old roof off occurred at a rapid pace, thanks to Dad's typical cunning. We used a Saws-all to cut all the way around the top of the wall, leaving the roof sitting free on the house. We then cut the roof in sections, and pulled them off. No point in ripping the shingles off first when you've got four groaning, strained backs to push sections to the edge! Our favorite toy, the tractor, took a supporting role in the drama of exertion.
5 comments:
Sir, that is one very fine cabin. I had an interesting discussion with Dr. Ekkens concerning organic farming. I think he wants to talk to you about it some this coming year.
Very good. Always happy to talk to Ekkens. Didn't Luke Fisher do some gardening this summer? I know that I basically left the OPEN DOOR gardening project with him. The future for gardening at SAU lies in winter gardening. I have a superb book on the subject by Eliot Coleman, a winter gardening guru here in Maine. Looking forward to a pow wow with Ekkens, but of course I'll be extremely busy. Perhaps we can foster a "go green" attitude at SAU. There was strong impetus for that towards the end of last semester in the student senate. Organic gardening might come up, and funding might follow. Who knows? I know Senate has many other projects to look at.
green sounds good. and as for Luke he has been superactive with gardening this summer! he has led out in a children outreach project involving gardening. and has maintained the southern garden very well. If you get a chance ask him about it, or i can give you some more info.
I need Luke's contact info.
I love it!!!
:)
Post a Comment